Disclaimer

I go to a lot of effort to make sure I give other people proper credit when I borrow their ideas, stories, images, etc. Please give me that same courtesy.

All posts dated prior to July 30, 2009 are taken whole or in part from my more extensive MySpace blog. If you have a MySpace profile feel free to send me a friend request to get full access to my blogs there.

MySpace Tracker

March 22, 2009

A Snippet of Something I'm Reading

From Love and Mr. Lewisham, p1 (introducing Mr. Lewisham's character):

"He was called 'Mr' to distinguish him from the bigger boys, whose duty it was to learn, and it was a matter of stringent regulation that he should be addressed as 'Sir'.

He wore ready-made clothes, his black jacket of rigid line was dusted about the front and sleeves with scholastic chalk, and his face was downy and his moustache incipient. He was a passable-looking youngster of eighteen, fair-haired, indifferently barbered and with a quite unnecessary pair of glasses on his fairly prominent nose -- he wore these to make himself look older, that discipline might be maintained."


I could go on, but that's a good stopping point; otherwise I'd end up copying the entire thing.

incipient moustache
quite unnecessary pair of glasses

I wish more authors today wrote like this. *sigh* I absolutely love H.G. Wells.

Other books you may know by him:
The Time Machine
The Island of Doctor Moreau
The Invisible Man
The War of the Worlds

A few you should know, but probably don't:
The Wheels of Chance
A Modern Utopia
Ann Veronica
The New Machiavelli
The Shape of Things to Come

Complete list of his works, according to Wikipedia.

Read. Culturalize yourself. Enjoy.

No, that's not a real word. I just made it up. But if we keep using it, it could be one day. Such is the beauty (and downfall) of our fluid language.

No comments:

Post a Comment