Disclaimer

I go to a lot of effort to make sure I give other people proper credit when I borrow their ideas, stories, images, etc. Please give me that same courtesy.

All posts dated prior to July 30, 2009 are taken whole or in part from my more extensive MySpace blog. If you have a MySpace profile feel free to send me a friend request to get full access to my blogs there.

MySpace Tracker

October 22, 2007

Another Blonde Moment

I used to think the only dumb blondes were the ones whose brains had been damaged from all that bleach and hair dye. As I got older I realized that even true blondes, like myself, have really dumb moments; maybe it's because we get a "pass" on having true responsibility or because people really do hold us to lower standards -- I don't know. Yeah, blondes can (and often do) have more fun, but as an endangered minority (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2284783.stm) I think we should be given special protections -- scholarships, minority status, etc -- that are provided to other so-called minority groups that are in less danger of extinction, and who are certainly not overwhelmingly seen as inherently stupid or morally deficient anymore.

But I digress.

I was having trouble with my new flashdrive yesterday -- I could save an initial copy of a file and access all my files, but I couldn't save any changes; I kept getting the error message that the disk was either full or write-protected. Now, I just got this flashdrive, and a simple check confirmed that I had almost complete available memory. If the drive was write-protected, this could mean only one thing: the files were corrupted and my flashdrive is broken, probably beyond repair.
Now, let me tell you about this flashdrive, 'cause I think it's the steal of the century. It's made by Nextar, and it's a flashdrive/voice recorder/mp3 player/FM tuner, and it has 1GB storage -- and I got it for about $20 at Wal-Mart. I don't know a whole lot about technological gizmos, but I think it's fucking awesome.

Not if it's broke, though. If the drive is broken, it just becomes a walkman. I don't need a walkman, I need a flashdrive -- I take online classes and I travel a lot, so I need a portable storage device for my homework.

So here's where the dumb blonde moment comes in. A lot of techie devices that run on batteries have a "hold" switch to keep the device from turning on when it's in your backpack so the batteries don't drain down. I'm a firm believer in not wasting batteries (or of wasting in general), so I switched the "hold" button on when I packed it with my other things. And because the ultra-thin barely-comprehensible owner's manual didn't warn me, I had no idea that this would not keep me from accessing files, but it would prevent me from making changes to the drive. After a lot of research on write-protection and this USB in particular, and changing batteries and trying to reformat the disk and just about anything I could think of, I was about ready to throw this piece of crap in the trash.

That's when I took a close look at my new toy and noticed the "hold" switch again. Sure enough, I was able to access my files and make changes to them, too. Ah, I love my new flashdrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment